From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:14:42 -0400
David,

Even if the MoBo is dead, I wouldn't recommend brute force.
Personally, I would take a more cautious approach by releasing
the retaining clips and then gently removing the CPU assembly.

There are two different types of white  plastic plugs that go down
through the MoBo.  One type has a pin pushed down through the
top center of the plug (which "spreads" the legs on the bottom side)
and the other type is some sort of spring clip mechanism.  For the
pin type, you can usually pull the pin back out of the top center
by carefully sliding a thin screwdriver or knifeblade under the "cap"
(The pin looks a lot like a nail with a round head)  For the spring
loaded type, you can use a pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze
the locking blades (on the bottom side) while pushing the plug
out through the top of the motherboard.

Jim Meagher