From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:34:27 -0700
Indeed, a failing drive can cause the computer to freeze. I have had that
happen to me before. The drive may appear to work fine, but have occasional
failures.

Your idea of cloning to another drive should work fine. I recently did that
for my own computer when I wanted to replace a drive with a new solid state
disk. In my case, I used the free program XML DriveImage, which I highly
recommend.

Good luck

Peter