From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 23:35:52 -0400
I've got about a two year old parallel port scanner, an OpticPro 4830P.  I
know it was a cheapy, but can't say exactly how cheap since it was a
Christmas gift.

It still scans great, but lately it will only do one scan at a time.  Then
it forces me to cold boot the computer to do another scan.  What happens on
a second scan attempt is the scan head moves only about 25% of the way down
the page (it is a flatbed scanner BTW).  It then sends a signal to the
software that it is done and goes back to resting mode.  It makes some
really wonderful grinding noises too during this second scan attempt.

When I cold boot the PC it then works fine again for the first scan.

This leads me to believe that it might be a parallel port problem, but the
printer I have connected to the pass through of the scanner still works
just fine.

Here are my system specs:

FICA 503+ MB
AMD K6-2 350Mhz overclocked to 450
OpticPro 4830P scanner
HP 855C Printer
128 MB PC100 SDRAM

I have more but this should be all that is important.  I have made no
hardware changes to cause this problem to happen.  The only thing I have
done since the problem started is to play with the LPT port settings in the
BIOS.  I have tried every conceivable combination there with no change.

Any and all ideas appreciated, but one request.....Please post your replies
to the PCBUILD list only.  I have some aggressive anti-spam software set up
and wouldn't want to miss a reply.

TIA.

Eric

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: