From:
bob warasila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:34:10 -0500
I'm wrestling with whether to go with a new build or name brand box.  I'm getting ready to retire my P4 on a P4P800 ASUS MB built ~6 years ago, that has served me well.  The only high end needs I have are for some pretty demanding EXCEL applications that now take up to 6 minutes on this computer.  The recent discussion about the ASUS Essentia caught my attention.  Looks like for $650 + the cost of a mid-range video card one can have a W7 Quad core performance for about $750.

However I''m  thinking about going with the i7-860 because I tend to keep my computers for 5 years so I usually figure the current state-of-art is worth the $.  My question relates to which ASUS P7P55 version is most appropriate for non-gaming use and if I should try to go with the existing case and PS to cut costs if I go the self built route.  The current case is an Antec + Zalman 300W.  I suspect the 300W may be a stretch for the i7, is that correct?  I'm planning on something like an ATI 4670 video card , 1TB HD, a CD/DVD burner and a ROM DVD drive + 8 GB memory.   My old Plextor IDE burner is fine but I'm thinking I'm better off with all SATA these days.  My exisiting monitor is a good HP flat panel and I have a wireless key board and mouse that's about 2 years old still in a box .  When I've priced things on NewEgg looks like the cost is about  $900 for hardware without a new case & PS + the cost of W7.    I can buy an HP e9270 for ~$1100 with W7 so it looks as if there is little or no savings in the DIY route although I understand the components may be more robust.

I've gone the DIY route on my last 3 computers but perhaps that time has passed.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bob Warasila