Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:32:47 -0700
See here:
Why can't I join a homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup
Esp.:"The network location might not be set to Home. HomeGroup only
works on home (private) networks. To change your network location,
follow these steps:"
I have also found that WIn7 networks seem to work better with passwords
installed.

This recent Windows Secrets article may be of help after you've
connected:

Simple change in settings pumps up Win7 networks:
http://windowssecrets.com/2010/10/14/01-Simple-change-in-settings-pumps-up-Win7-networks