Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:08:48 EDT
Thanks so much  for your reply... but I did some research  after looking
forever on it, and found that the prefetch is self  maintained.  So I didn't
fool with hit.. I just remember quite some time  ago on the win XP, you could
go in there and delete all those files... but since  this is Win 7... I
read up on it before I did anything.. dont know the capacity  of the foler, but
will keep checking it from time to time to see how full it  will get.
Thanks for your reply.

Harriet

In a message dated 8/20/2010 1:32:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

A tool I  use, CCleaner, has an option to clean out old prefetch entries.
I would  presume that CCleaner checks the date stamp to weed out old
entries and  double-checks to insure that the executable that it links
back to is still  present before CCleaner tosses it. I have not
experienced any slowdown of  my own system, and I have used CCleaner
starting with Windows 2000 on up  through Windows 7. When you purge the
whole prefetch folder, you will get a  slowdown as Windows rebuilds the
prefetch content on the next boot cycle,  but the next boot cycle after
the rebuild will be back up to speed.  Cleaning out the files inside of
%TEMP% (a system variable for the temp  folder) is much more productive
in terms of speeding up Windows, provided  you defragment afterward to
tidy up the file system.

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, August 19, 2010 1:35  am
To: [log in to unmask]

I have a Dell 540 and using Win 7,
8.00 GB Memory,
64 Bit Operating System,

When I was running XP  on my older puter, I could go in the Prefetch
folder
and delete all  those files in there to keep the puter from running so
slow. I just looked  to see if that Prefetch folder is filled up after
running
Window Washer  and the McAfee cleaner, and there were umpteen things in
that
Prefetch  folder. Why is that and is it safe to remove all that's in
there.

Harriet

Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change  to
Digest mode - visit our web  site:
http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

The NOSPIN Group is now  offering Free PC Tech
support at our  website:
http://freepctech.com

support at our website:
http://freepctech.com