From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:35:47 -0600
At 08:24 AM 8/5/99 , Sami Al_mohssen  wrote:
>I got hit by the CIH virus last month and i lost my BIOS. now i'm having a
>lot of problems trying to find it. is there a place
>  that help me locating a download site for my old BIOS. i have an old
>P-Pro motherboard but i have absolutly no idea who made it.

If your bios was overwritten by the CIH virus, then your system will
not POST, Power On Self Test,  or the monitor displays nothing when
you turn on the computer.  The only options I know once this has
happened are:
1) Replace the motherboard
2) Replace the bios chip
3) Remove the bios chip, take it to an another computer, one that is working
     and while the system is turned on, pry out the existing BIOS chip and place
     your chip in the board.  Then you can flash the Bios chip in the second
     system.  Doing this risks frying or damaging the second computer.  I DO
     NOT recommend following this procedure, but it is the only one you can
     do yourself and the risks are extremely high.  I mention this one, since I
     have read where others have done it successfully...  but, I wonder how
     many people tried it, only to ruin the second motherboard.

The CIH virus over writes the old flashable Bios inside the Bios
chip.  I recommend you either replace the motherboard or if you find the
manufacturer, order a replacement Bios chip.

You can contact the manufacturer of the BIOS chip and they can tell you
the motherboard manufacturer from the chip's serial number.

AMI Bios - http://www.ami.com/
Award & Phoenix BIOS - http://www.phoenix.com/

I always hate to hear anyone was hit by that virus...  I wish you well finding
a solution.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org