From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 06:54:36 -0800
It could be that DMA mode is not turned on for the IDE channel that runs
slow. This is enabled on a per-IDE channel basis.

To check, login as an administrator, and right click on "My Computer" and
select "Manage".
In the "Computer Management" applet, click on "Device Manager".
In the right hand panel, look for "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" line and
click on its '+' symbol (it may be named slightly differently).
You should see entries for your specific IDE controller chipset, and also
"Primary IDE channel" as well as "Secondary IDE channel". For each of these
"Primary" and "Secondary" IDE channels, right click and select "Properties".
In the dialog that comes up, click on the "Advanced Settings" table. You
will see the "Transfer Mode" for each device. If any are set to "PIO only",
then change it to be "DMA if available" and click "ok".
Once you have changed them all, you will need to reboot.

Russ Poffenberger

At 06:40 AM 1/9/2007, Dean Kukral wrote:
>If I understand you, you first used one connector on the ribbon, and it did
>not work.  Then you used the other connector and it did work, right?
>
>It sounds to me like you have a bad IDE ribbon.
>
>Dean Kukral

Russ Poffenberger

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>