From:
Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2016 08:44:12 -0600
When installing Win2000, it will detect the Win98 already installed and
give you the option of replacing, upgrading or creating a new
installation.  If you choose a new install the only thing that gets updated
on the C drive will be the boot loader.  This is what will give you the
choice of which OS from which to boot.

A ghost image made from a previous install will no longer be valid.  The
file pointers are created to go to specific locations which are different
if the OS is installed on C or D.  When you make a disk boot system like
this you are loosley tying the drives into one system.  You can remove the
D drive but the boot loader will still show 2000 as an option.  If you
remove the C drive, you can do a repair install for 2000 to replace the
boot loader and update the file pointers.  My experience has been that
random things get lost and headaches created trying to remove the C drive
without a newly formatted and installed 2000.  It kind of works, but not
completely.

Although you can find programs which will create the multi-option boot
loader, the file pointers for the now D drive Win2000 install will try and
use file locations on the C drive.  This will overwrite some of the 98
files.  Eventually both OS's will tell you to run repair utilities and
these will repair one side of the coin while destroying the other.

I think all of this information is correct, but it's been 10-15 years since
I've played with this stuff.

May I make a personal suggestion?  It is time to consider moving to modern
hardware and software.  I know there are reasons to keep legacy hardware
but please consider an upgrade if you don't have a specific need for the
older stuff.  I was reluctant to let go of my old ways and old computers.
I no longer own a "computer", I just own a tablet and I use online
storage.  I can reach my files from any machine just by logging on to my
online account.  I feel like I have freed myself from so many of the
concerns of legacy hardware upkeep and backup.  Please, just consider an
upgrade.

Good luck with your project.

Ron
On Jan 9, 2016 12:17 AM, "cubbettee cubbettee" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> OKAY so leaving the 98 in as my C drive, do windows 2000 to D: drive.
> Understood.  Was there not something else, that I needed to configure in
> the install when doing it with that method to prevent any type of
> overwriting?  Also since I create a ghost image file for when the hard
> drive fails, would this become invalid if I ever was to use win 2000 as the
> primary without the windows 98 in the tower since it would be reading to d
> rather than c?
>
> Also, If each hard drive had the operating systems installed on them while
> each was the only one in the machine, is there something I can do with that
> rather than re-doing win 2000?
>

> -Forwarded Message Attachment--
> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 21:40:41 -0600
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: win 98/2000 separate HD
>
> Wow, Win98 goes back some time.  There are so many ways to do what you
> asked.  Probably the simplest is to have 98 installed on your C drive (or
> partition).  Install the new drive (most likely you will need to format
> over your existing Win2000) and then (with your Win98 drive in place)
> install Win2000.  You will be asked where you want to install the new
> software (probably the D drive).  The install process will create a
> multi-boot loader.  When starting the computer, you will be asked which you
> want to use.  This process works with most Microsoft operating systems but
> they have to be installed in the order released (98, 2000, xp, etc).  Good
> luck.
>
>                           PCSOFT's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                         Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>