From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:21:40 -0500
As I mentioned in my earlier post, to preserve LFNs, it must be done inside
a DOS~window~inside of Win9x. When "xcopy..." is typed inside a DOS window,
the program that actually runs is xcopy32 which is LFN "aware". Actually,
xcopy (without the 32) is not LFN "aware". To verify this, type xcopy /? and
note the switch setting in both pure DOS and inside a DOS window and you
will notice small differences in the help screen.Then type xcopy32 /? inside
a DOS window and note that the help screen is the same as typing xcopy /?
inside a DOS window but different than typing xcopy /? in pure DOS. A search
for xcopy*.exe will yield both xcopy.exe and xcopy32.exe. That is also why a
xcopy in pure DOS takes over twice as long as in a DOS window which is
significant when coping a few hundred megabits from one hard drive to
another.

To be perfectly sure you are running xcopy32, just type "xcopy32..." instead
of "xcopy...."
Xcopy32 requires the 32 bit hard drive controllers of Win9x to be installed
and will there for not run in pure DOS. This is also why, as noted in
another post, it will not run in Safe mode.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast - Reliable - Wallet Friendly