From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:31:37 -0800
David Gillett gave us some good suggestions recently on wireless security
settings. I have implemented those, but have recently run into a situation
that I don't understand. My daughter was complaining that her laptop was
having a very low signal with the wireless card. We brought the laptop next
to the access  point (within 2 feet), but the signal was still very low.
Investigating the settings, I discovered that she was connected to our
neighbor's wireless network!

I went over to see my neighbor and verified that is was indeed his network
that we were connecting to. However, his router had security enabled. I was
not familiar with his system (an SBC provided wireless router), so I did not
poke around much so as not to disrupt the network for his own use. What I
don't understand is why my daughter was able to connect even though he had
encryption enabled?

This does not do much for my confidence in wireless, and supports my
position to avoid wireless unless you really need it.

Any input and experiences would be appreciated. In particular, if anyone may
have some suggestions for the SBC system in particular. I am sure that many
others on the list may benefit from a revisit to this security issue. TIA.

Peter
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>