From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:52:01 -0400
> I have tried without success to turn my modem volume
> down or off. I have gone into "control panel" and "modem"
> and turned volume down. I have gone into my "dial-up"
> preferences and tried to adjust but it still is loud as ever.
> I have a feeling this has something to do with the fact
> that I use AOL.  If anyone can help, I would be most
> appreciative.

    I should work, since I have never used AOHell (sorry, but I just never
liked AOL! :) ) I don't know what their software does to your modem
settings. Have you tried going into AOL's settings and see if they allow
some adjustment there? As a last resolve, go into your modem properties,
click on configure, then connection, then advanced and in "extra settings"
add what you want from the following (this being an excerpt from my USR
modem's online help (AT$) but should work for most other modems):

Mn    n=0  Speaker OFF
      n=1  Speaker ON Until CD
      n=2  Speaker Always ON
Ln    n=0  Low Speaker Volume
      n=1  Low Speaker Volume
      n=2  Med Speaker Volume
      n=3  Hi Speaker Volume

        For example, to always have the modem's speaker on with full volume (I
don't think anybody else would appreciate this!) enter M2L3 in the extra
settings section. Hope this helped, TTYL