From:
Robin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:35:08 -0400
Can someone explain what a boot record is and how it gets changed? I know that the Master Boot Sector is a starting point on the hard disk that contains key information about the computer. I am also familiar with boot sector viruses. That's about the limit of my knowledge. Here's my situation. Someone sent me a Word doc and before I opened it I scanned it for viruses.  (I am using Norton Antivirus 2000 and my virus definitions are up to date.) Before the scan started a dialog box popped up stating that the boot record had changed. The full text is "Your Boot Record (critical startup information) has changed. This may have happened because you upgraded your operating system (to Windows 98, for example), installed a new hard drive, or run software that modifies your hard drive. This is OK. If you have not made a change of this type an unknown virus may have infected your system. If you are unsure, choose Ignore, run LiveUpdate, and then scan your computer with Norton Antivirus." I did that and now when I try to scan I get the same message. My choices are:

The change to my Boot Record is OK. Update the saved copy of my Boot Record.
The change is unexpected. Restore my Boot Record.
Ignore the change and do nothing.

I am unsure of which one to pick. Everything is running smoothly and I don't want to inadvertently change something that shouldn't be changed.

Robin