From:
Bob Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:54:24 -0500
Is it (reasonably) safe to assume that any video card with a DVI output would work with a high definition TV? I'm still shopping for a low wattage (efficient) card that will do the job. I've made it more difficult because I need an AGP card, and want a quiet passive (no fan) card. If I find the right AGP card, I may be able to convert it to a passive heat sink. I've had good success with that before. Right now I'm thinking of playback only.
Thanks to those who responded, Bob

>>Is it possible to tell from a card's specifications whether it will
>>run the 42' 1080p HDTV?
>>If so, what specs should I look for ?

>From: Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
>Simply look for HD support in the specifications, but you will need
>some CPU horsepower to play back the torrent of data bits that  HD
>requires. A good video card, properly configured  will off load a lot
>of the processing required for playback but you will still need
>something like a P.4 3Ghz. CPU. The video card doesn't have to be
>expensive or high end for HD. For AGP a ATI 800XT or ATI 1650 would do the job.
>
>Recording HD is a whole different thing, and will require a great
>deal more processing power.
>
>Mark Rode

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads