From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:59:36 -0500
If you want the utmost in heat sink compound, get silver based Vs. zinc
based grease. It is 10 times more effective and can lower CPU temps by 10°
or more over zinc based greases.

Chemtronics (800-645-5244) makes it. Their product number CW7100. Being
silver rather than zinc it is more expensive. A .23 oz tube is around $15.

An important note whether you use zinc or silver grease is to use it
sparingly. Use only enough to fill in the gaps. Lapping the heatsink on the
CPU after application is a good way to distribute the grease. Lifting (not
sliding) the heatsink off the CPU will show a ripple area on the grease
surface where this is contact and sufficient grease.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast - Reliable - Wallet Friendly