Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:17:00 -0600
Hello Martha,

First, you may want to re-check everything that came with the new drive.
Some drives use two jumpers for a particular setting (usually installed as a
default setting) but may only require one for another setting. Also, a spare
jumper is sometimes included in the package with the mounting screws.

If there isn't an extra jumper there and all you want to do is copy the data
from the old drive, you can temporarily "borrow" one from the optical drive
(CD/DVD-ROM), replacing it when you're done.

You didn't indicate what your plans for the old drive are but I recommend
you use it as a second drive to store your personal stuff (My Documents) and
for general storage in case the C: drive or Windows 'bites the dust'. For
this you would need the additional jumper permanently. Check with friends or
anyone you know with a computer who may have an extra jumper. If you have a
computer store or shop nearby, check with them. They will probably give you
several to keep for spares. Good luck.

Sven Swanson, Sr.