From:
Elizabeth Boston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:00:53 -0500
I ordered 5 Boca PCI 56K V.90 modems recently...
        Shouldn't a company like Boca have something identifying  their
modems? Nowhere on the modem itself, does it say that it is a
Boca, also, when the computer detects it, it does not identify it
as a Boca modem. I'm using a Boca in my computer and it is
properly identified.
        If that isn't frustrating enough, I spent two
hours yesterday trying to get these modems to work in a new
computer. I tried two of them before I gave up and installed a
USR modem. Windows detects the modem, installs the supplied
software, and appears to be able to communicate with the modem,
but it never dials, or even opens up the phone line. I keep
getting "No Dial tone" messages. Doesn't matter which software I
am using (tried DUN and a fax program). I have installed lots of
ISA modems, and a few PCI ones (These are PCI, no jumpers) so I'm
not new to setting up modems, but have
run out of options to try on these. Is there some "trick" to
setting up PCI modems?
        Basically, I am looking at 5 generic modems that don't want to
work..... *sigh*

     Elizabeth Boston

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html