From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 15:47:58 +1200
> By the way, based on another recommendation I found some prices, thought I'd
> ask if this was a decent deal.
> Asus A7V133 Mobo, AMD Duron 900 w/ cooling fan, 256mb of PC133 Ram, in a
> bundle for $288.
> Also, looks like a decent case w/ 300 watt power supply

Neal,

I agree wholeheartedly with Max Ts' recommendations. AMD is the only way to go if
you're looking for a future upgrade path. They have stated that they are
committed to Socket A support, - whereas P3 to P4 means a new mobo for whatever
new Slot/Socket config. Intel has dreamed up last month.

Just as a note of Caution ; make sure that the bundle you mentioned has the VIA
KT133A chipset, as Max mentioned.
I rather suspect that the bundle may have the older chipset, which is why it is
cheaper.

The old KT133 couldn't handle the bigger L2 cache of the Thunderbird.
The new KT133A chipset is redesigned for Duron and Thunderbird and should run any
Athlon up to whatever speed. (I think !)

You won't go wrong with 300W power supply, it's not overkill these days.

Also remember that these newer CPUs' generate as much heat as a small lightbulb,-
and who would touch a bulb with bare hands ?  Cooling is becoming more and more
of a consideration. The old clunker (P133) I'm writing this on relies solely on
the power supply fan to suck in cooler air,dust,dirt and cat fur, - the new build
will have at least two fans to blow it all out again !.
Food for thought isn't it ?.

Kevin.