From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:21:38 -0400
From: "Robert Bishop"
Mixed in:
>I have a 30gb Maxtor hard drive which I have been using in
>an external case as backup for my computer, running Windows XP.
>I decided to install it as the internal slave.  Other than taking it out of
>the external case and installing it in the computer, I didn't change anything.
>It now seems unreadable - I get the message "Volume contains
>unrecognized file system," and I'm told I need to format the drive.
>Since I have about 16gb of data which I would like to keep, I don't
>want to format the drive.

Since you "only" moved it from "one controller" to another, the "best"
answer is to move it back and hope for the best.
The second part of that answer is to copy all the data off -- if you have
the room somewhere else in the computer, or burn it off onto a DVD
etc...

The "likely" answer as to "why" this happened is that the drive LBA
translation is handled differently on the MB controller. This will not
allow the drive to "see" the bits that are (more than likely) still there.

> I purchased the "PC Beginner" CD, which contains Disk Genius.
>When I run it, it tells me that "Partition 0 is interlapped with
>Partition 1."  It says "unknown" partition 0 starts at cluster 0,
>and FAT 32 partition starts at cluster 4.

Software can only "see" what the BIOS LBA translation "hands off
to it"... If you put the drive back and run this program again the results
"might" be different.

> Is there a way to fix this so I can copy the data to the primary drive,
>and either reformat or replace the Maxtor drive?

Is there a reason you did not try to return things exactly like they were,
using the old enclosure?

                       Good luck,             Rick Glazier

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com