From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:03:10 -0800
On 10 Oct 98 at 18:51, List Moderator wrote:

> Posted on behalf of Kevin Nowicki [log in to unmask]
> to PCBUILD by List Moderator Mark Rode
>
> In a message dated 10/9/98 2:42:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
> << Replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM(?) can be an effective middle
> path, but there are a fair number of things to watch out for along
> that way. >>
> David:
> If one does replace the motherboard etc, is the data still safe on the HD or
> will it be lost with the new configuration?

  Normally, it should be safe.

  I'd usually include one caveat, that replacing the motherboard
means a new CMOS setup, and its important to get the drive
information set up the same in the new CMOS as it was in the old.

  My dad recently replaced his motherboard, and a bunch of his drive
letter assignments changed around.  He eventually remembered that
when he disassembled the machine, he found the "master" and "slave"
jumpers of the drives were reversed from what he thought they should
be, so he "fixed" them.  Putting them back the way the were got his
system usable again.

David G

                                  -----