From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:15:07 -0400
Kevin,

Assuming you already have an internal NIC in the computer, and a hub. You
can use
Win98SE's internet connection.  Be cause it uses NAT (Network Address
Translation)
the internal network would never be exposed. Your internal IP address
is generally assigned by the Server computer via DHCP, which would be
192.168.x.x.  That IP would be translated by the Server computer into
the IP assigned to you by the ISP (either staticly or dynamicaly--becoming
more
common these days).  Depending on the DSL Provider,
most have you have you logon using either PPP over ATM(uses DUn) or PPP over
Ethernet(uses 3rd party
software provided by the ISP--such as NTS Enternet300).
Any time you logoff your no longer exposed to the internet, and is safer
when when you leave the computer on at night. As for a software firewall
i would recommend ZoneAlarm, it allows you to choose what programs are
allowed out to the internet.

--Patrick Black