From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:20:49 -0500
At 22:46 01/20/01, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Asus P2B-DS motherboard -- BIOS updated to latest
>2x PII-400 -- FSB at 112 MHz = 448 MHz
>512MB SDRAM (SPD ECC)
>Matrox G400 Dual-Head AGP display card -- BIOS updated to latest
>3Com 3c905B NIC
>Creative SBLive 5.1
>Pinnacle STudio PCTV Pro
>2x Quantum Fireball UW SCSI drives (2.0 and 2.1 GB)
>2x Fujitsu UW SCSI drives (4.0 GB each, stripe set)
>Plextor 12/20Plex SCSI CD-ROM drive
>Matsushita CS-7502 SCSI CD-R drive
>Internal ATAPI Zip drive
>Kodak DC280 digital camera software, with Win2K USB update
>
>I've been a bit disappointed that my SCSI scanner (Tamarack 6000Ci)
>isn't supported (needs Adaptec EZ-SCSI)

You have an Adaptec 7890 on board your P2B-DS. Didn't it come with
EZ-SCSI 4 or 5...maybe on the Asus motherboard CDROM?

Also, I've heard bad things about overclocking Adaptec SCSI controllers.
Do you get these problems when you aren't overclocking the FSB?

I'm using an Asus P2B-D with Adaptec 2940U2W and 2940UW PCI cards, dual
PIII-800 (running at 8 X 100 MHz), 4 X 128 MB Crucial PC133 CAS2 ECC DIMMs,
8 drives (4 U2 + 4UW), HP 4C scanner, Toshiba 32X CDROM,
Leadtek GeForce DDR, Netgear FA310TX NIC, Microsoft Optical Intellimouse,
IBM keyboard, Courier external, APC SmartUPS, parallel port disabled.
Win2k Pro with Service Pack 1. Non-ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, no IRQs shared.

Similar system to yours.

>I'm really looking for help on is crashes of the Win2K Pro
>box.  I've had several different recurring ones, and I'm hoping I'm
>not alone:
>
>1.  LSASS.EXE crashes when I log in.
>   This one seems to have gone away after a hard power down, but
>without knowing what caused it, I'm afraid it may return at any
>moment.

LSASS.EXE gets replaced by Service Pack 1. Have you tried SP1?
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ has a link for Win2k SP1.

>2.  KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
>I'm working my way through the knowledge base to try and close in
>on this one....

Haven't see this one here.

>3.  Machine total freeze/lockup, *possibly* associated with mouse
>movement. I've replaced the OEM Microsoft Wheel Mouse with a retail
>Microsoft Basic Mouse, and downloaded and installed Intellimouse 3.2,
>and let it sit with the power off.  MAYBE this one has finally gone away,
>too, but maybe not.

Are you using Zone Alarm firewall? I get occasional freezes and am
convinced that they are due to Zone Alarm. Zone Labs warns that
nasty things happen on SMP machines when network traffic gets
heavy. I don't know what the definition of heavy is.

Regards,
Bill