From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:09:53 -0500
Dwayne Burbridge wrote:

> I appreciate the many articulate responses I've received from members of
> this list.  I am installing a new HD controller, new primary HD and
> reformatting my slave drive.  I will do a clean install of WIN98 on my
> primary drive.  Could I install NT Server on the slave drive, and then
> would I have to format the primary fat32 and the slave fat16?  Would
> this work as a dual boot?  Or is this WAY too much trouble and I should
> just wait for NT 5?
> thanks

    Based on what our network lady has done here at our ESC I don't
think dual boot won't work (FAT32) with NT 4.0. It will with 5.0. If you
want to dual boot with 98 and NT 4.0 do a dual partition and when you
run Fdisk be sure and say NO to enable large disk support (first rattle
out of the box in Fdisk). That will create the FAT16 partitions which is
what is needed to do a dual boot with 98 (or 95) and NT 4.0.

    BTW...I went back and partitioned my hard drive on my laptop to two
equal 3 GB partitions (FAT32)and made a dual boot to Windows 98 and
Windows 2000 Professional. My DVD player software MPEG2 decoder failed
to work (or even be detected in W2K) so I started all over to get it
working on the 98 side. Lots of hours doing all that reconstruction (and
on a new laptop). *;-)

    Just to give you a laugh about technical support lines I had some
modem driver problems after reloading (couldn't connect above 33K
although I was hitting 46K the day before). So I called the company and
after explaining how I had redone the drive and was using the
recommended modem driver from their website the guy goes: "Gee...sounds
like you know more about this kind of thing than me! Hope you get it
figured out!"

    So I did...found the correct modem driver at the manufacturer's
website. *;-)

Later,

                     Russell Smith    Edtech Consultant, Journalist
                   Region 14 Education Service Center Abilene, Texas
               http://camalott.com/~rssmith mailto:[log in to unmask]
                       Better Schools Build Better Communities!

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html