From:
Tom McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:21:46 -0500
I believe I must be a very lucky individual.  Most people tell me not to burn
above 2x and and to have no other processes running in the background.  By
experimenting, I have learned to ignore that advice.  Realize that your
mileage may vary...

I am running a Ricoh MediaMaster 7060a CDR/W on a Classic P233.  It is an
EIDE device connected as a secondary slave.  The drive I usually burn from is
a primary slave.  I routinely burn at 6x while downloading from the
Internet.  I usually have no problem as long as I burn from an image file and
don't try to do anything else but let my downloads run in the background.
Even browsing can cause a buffer underrun.  If I burn at 4x, I can browse and
wordprocess, etc., and at 2x I can do most anything except games and other
processor intensive jobs.

The blank CDs need to be certified to be burnable at higher speeds.  Most
anything I find retail has been usable 1x - 8x.

Tom McHugh