From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:24:02 -0800
A little surfing on PriceWatch found the HP Laserjet 1000 for as little as
$250, and the 1200 for $350.  The main difference between the two is that
the 1000 does 10 pages per minute (ppm) at 600x600 DPI, and the 1200 does
15ppm at 1200x600 DPI.  The same toner cartridge is used on both printers
and runs $55-$60.  If I were in your position, these are the two I would
look at the closest.  I don't believe you are going to gain anything by
going to the 2000 series, other than a few more bells and whistles.  It
doesn't sound like you need those extras though.

Here is my professional opinion (emphasis on "opinion") on the makes.  If
you are looking for quality and endurance, HP is it, hands down.  I've
worked with HP, Canon, Panasonic, and Lexmark laserjet printers.  I was a
few steps from becoming an HP certified technician (I quit the job I had at
the time before I got to that level) and the biggest problem I had in
learning them was getting enough broken ones to work on.  95% of the time I
was working on Laserjet II and III printers which had been in service for
over 10 years without a problem.  What I was replacing on them was springs
and some of the plastic parts that just wear down after so many years.  I
probably replaced one fuser in the 8 or 9 months I was working on them.
There was a total of about 2000 HP printers that I was responsible for, and
I usually got one or two every two weeks to work on.

All of the other types of printers we had (probably about 75 total between
the three brands) we outsourced the work on.  I was probably sending two a
week off to be repaired.  I have had people who swear by the Lexmark
laserjets.  They are good printers as far as quality and speed, but their
endurance leaves a lot to be desired.  The average Lexmark would go about
30,000 to 40,000 pages before needing service.  The HP printers averaged
around 750,000 pages before needing service.  Keep in mind, this goes for
their newer ones too.  When I left, the main printer being deployed was the
4100TN.  In the space of a year and a half we probably installed about 300
of them, and I never had to work on any of them other than to change the ink
cartridge.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.  I realize I'm probably a
little biased, but if that is the case, it's because HP has me sold on their
quality, lock, stock, and barrel.  Keep in mind, I don't particularly care
for their computer systems (though I do like their CDR-RW drives a lot), but
they make a h#!! of a printer.

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without
them.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com