From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:21:43 +0200
Hello Mark,

  This thing needs some explanation to be done.

  The CRT monitor works by sending a beam of electrons all over the
surface of the screen from the electron gun at its rear; these
electrons head-crash into small spots of something [I'm not sure what
it's called] that emits light of some color - Red Green or Blue {RGB}
when an electron bangs on it.
  There are two main shapes of placing the different color spots. The
older one is in a triangular shape, like this:
  R   G   B
G   B   R   G
  R   G   B
G   B   R   G

where R,G,B is a red, green, blue dots in the black mask that covers
the monitor's glass from inside. You can see this by looking very
closely at your cheapest monitor (cheapest - because it's the cheaper
technology) [but don't do it for long - really bad for the eyes].
  The distance between dots is called dot pitch.

  THe second technology is aperture grill (i believe that's what this
is called). It looks like this:

R G B R G B ..
R G B R G ...
R G B R .
R G B  ...
R G B ...

i.e. a strips of some color. Here, there is no black mask to support
the whole thing, so it would fall off strap by strap, but these
horizontal lines you see are, in fact, a very thin wires that hold the
straps of aperture grill together. These lines are present on all
monitors with ap.grill because that's the design, and the distance
between lines is also called some sort of pitch [horizontal pitch?],
typically 0.21 .

Now, this thing [wires] bothers some people who can see 'em clearly and
thus they prefer older tubes for the new ones [myself included]. But the
ap. grill displays are much brighter with the same amount of electrons
(why? consider, how much light would get through this : [ o   o   o]
and through this : [ ##  ##  ## ] ) and, generally, have a better
picture.

If you still have any questions left... feel free to ask.

By the way, the MAG XJ700... my friend got one of these. It's really
good, even better than my DJ530... a worthy investment, I think.

Monday, June 28, 1999, 4:40:49 PM, you wrote:

MCB> My brother recently purchased a really nice Mag XJ700T 17" .25dp monitor.

MCB> After we got it home and set up, we noticed that there were two horizontal
MCB> lines
MCB> crossing the full width of the monitor. The first is about 1.5" from the
MCB> top and
MCB> the second an equal distance from the bottom.

Best regards,
 Max                            mailto:[log in to unmask]

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html