From:
Fran Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 05:33:26 -0000
Depends on the board. It is possible to upgrade the existing board depending
on who made it.
First, if these are name brabd machines (HP, Compaq, etc) upgrading may be
limited.
If these are systems you put together, it is possible that the board are
upgradeable. First you need to get the MB model and name and search for a
BIOS upgrade for them. Some AT boards are capable of  being a Super Socket 7
and accepting a AMD K6-2 up to a 550. Mine is such and it is an ASUS P5B-A
(I think that number is right).
Also as recently as last month, CSO (www.computersurplusoutlet.com) had
memory really cheap, even if you used 72 pin simms. They had 64 meg 72 pin
simms as well as other sizes. I know they still have PC 66,  PC100, and
PC133 on sale.
If the current boards you have are upgradeable, this would be the way to go.

If the boards  are not upgradeable, then I would search eBay, CSO,
www.compgeeks.com , and www.softwareandstuff.com for AT boards. I just
checked the  last site and they hace a MB by FIC for $19.95 that supports up
to a  AMD K6-500 chip.

Hope this helps

Fran