From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:21:28 -0700
Hi Vanessa,

This basically means that the system is not running. Do you get any
beeps from the speaker? If so, the specific code (sequence of short and
long beeps) tells you what is wrong. If you get no beeps, then the CPU
is not running at all (it is a false assumption that the speaker will
beep if the CPU is dead, the CPU drives the speaker directly, so if it
is not running, then it cannot generate any beep codes).

There are a lot of reasons why the CPU may not be running.

1.) The CPU was not replaced back in the socket properly on the new MB.
2.) The CPU is not supported by the MB.
3.) The CPU was damaged when moved from the old to the new MB.
      Did you take appropriate precautions to make sure it was not
damaged by static electricity?
4.) The power supply is not compatible with the MB.
5.) The power supply connectors were not plugged in correctly. Be
careful not to mix PCIe video power connectors with ATX or SLI MB connectors
6.) The MB requires a minimum of two sticks of memory.
7.) The MB is shorting to the case through the mounting screws or standoffs.
8.) Make sure all cards (video, etc) are firmly seated.

The usual troubleshooting steps should be followed.

1.) Remove the MB from the case and place on a non-static insulating
surface. Disconnect everything except the video card, PSU, KB and mouse
and see if it will power up to the POST screen.
2.) If not, then remove and reseat the CPU and memory.
3.) Once you get it to show POST video, carefully start re-assembling
everything, testing as you go along. If it suddenly stops working again,
then the last thing you did was the culprit.

Russ Poffenberger

Vanessa Henderson wrote:
> I've just installed a new MSI motherboard in a system that the
> previous board went bad.  I have 1 stick of DDR2 4200. Once I press
> the power button, my monitor says no signal and the screen stays
> black.  All fans are running, but I can't see a thing.  Please help
>

> Kind regards,
> Vanessa Henderson
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>