From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:40:18 -0800
Most people can not notice flicker above 60 MHz....at least consciously.
However a few people are bothered by anything below 75 MHz. So the answer
to your question is ...it depends on you. Monitors are the most personal of
PC peripheral choices. What might look great to you might look terrible to
me.  As a general rule the higher the refresh rate the better but the
refresh rate has nothing to do with how fast things run. If you are after a
gaming experience make sure you have a game card like a Monster
3D....combine a game card with a high end monitor capable of displaying
good graphics and you will have a great visual game experience.

 You will find  that all high end monitors have high refresh rates. The
less flicker ..the sharper the picture, the better the graphics, the less
eye strain. If you are a CAD or Graphics professional,........ if you sit
in front of your monitor 8+ hours a day .....a high end monitor with it's
high refresh rate may be important. However if you use your monitor a
couple of hours a day to read your Email or browse the Net and play a few
games then 60 MHz may be just fine.  Refresh rates change with the
resolution you are using ...a pretty good monitor might get 75 MHz refresh
with 600 X 800 but 60 MHz with 1024 X 768. .......so when making your
purchasing decision look at the refresh rate at the resolutions you will be
using.

I think the monitor is the most important part of a PC and advise people to
spend their money on a good monitor rather then a faster processor or a
bigger hard drive. The monitor is what we look it...while the monitor has
nothing to do with how fast things run the video is how we  << perceive >>
speed and a good or bad picture will have a significant  effect on your
computing experience. Years ago I agonized over my first high end monitor
purchase......I thought  I am about to spend a grand for a ...TV !!!
.....but after I made the purchase I was very happy and haven't looked back
since. Right now I am running at 1115X864 32 million colors at 85 MHz.

                                  -----