From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:14:21 -0400
Anna Summers writes under header "[PCBUILD] Need suggestions for parts to building new PC" on Sunday, October 8, 2006 3:17 AM (clipped)

<<<< I'm now using my HP key with a non-specific OEM that someone gave me so I could partition my own disk instead of HP limiting me to one partition, but this HP key probably won't work if I have a non-HP motherboard, right?  But will I have ANY problems with a legal OEM that is not specifically tied to HP (or DELL, or whatnot)? >>.

Hi all,

I am quoting above just to clear some of my doubts and so a new thread..

I have heard of OEM and RETAIL versions so what is this nonspecific OEM?

my understanding so far is that branded system manufacturers get win xp (at whatever price...) from MS and configure it as per their choice. so you do not get the win xp disk with the system but only a " rescue disks" from such branded makers. this does not mean that if the system crashes one will not be able to load winxp at all and can very well do so with a retail legal version.

(1) am I right or wrong?

(2) is there any limitations on the number of partitions with such OEM installed systems.? I have succesfully created 2 partitions on an old HP laptop after wiping it clean with the utility downloaded from the hdd manufacturers site. originally it had only one partition of the full capacity.

(3) it is also my understanding that win xp is very very sensitive to changes in mobo (more than to changes in any other hardware) and will simply refuse to load if any change is detected.

will appreciate any input. thanks----Venkat

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml