From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:18:30 -0700
On Thursday, June 24, 1999 2:55 AM, Richard Tan <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

<snip>

>Walter,
>I had the exact same CD-ROM, the LG CRD-8240B and it ranks high on the
>unreliable list with a high failure rate.  I bought it to replace a dead
>Creative CD-ROM and had the LG working for about a year when it started to
>show the same symptoms as you now report.  When I spoke to my dealer then
he
>told me he had so many returns and repairs on that model he got burned
>badly.  I could get it working right after some manual calibration (a firm
>whack on the floor after it's yanked out of the case!) but the problem
would
>return after a few weeks.  Beware the tray mechanism as it will be the next
>to go.  Only CD-ROM where I had to pry open the try to retrieve a CD.  It's
>now a doorstop, replaced by an ASUS 40X.
<snip>

Richard and other list members - This is what I had "assumed" to be the
problem from all the other info I had gathered from other web sites.  What I
don't really understand <vbg> is why Packard Bell's tech support didn't pass
on this info and offer to have the drive replaced because it was still under
warranty. Thanks to all who responded to this query. :-)

Walter