From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:24:11 -0600
This is PCBUILD, Bob!  Do you think that we are going to tell you to buy a Dell??   :) :)

Regarding your question about the motherboard, I have a few pieces of advice.

First of all, be sure to get one with an eSata connector.  Some day you might find that you want some external storage for backup or
file transfers and you will find the eSata external drive superior to the USB drive.  Also, you cannot currently boot Windows from a
USB drive, but I believe that you can from an eSata drive,  should that ever become desirable in the future.

Second, I suggest that  you go with only 3GB or memory.  I recently built a computer around an i7 870 and discovered that my full
8GB of memory was not used.  There is evidently a bug in some (or all?) P55 bios that does not allow 8GB to be used.  (Check out
Anantech or THG for more info.)

I suggest that you get one of the power supplies of about 800 watts from PC Power and Cooling.  They are quite expensive, but should
last and provide reliable power for years.  Also, be aware that the "excess" power is not wasted energy - only the amount actually
needed is drawn from the power lines.

There are many P55 motherboards for around $100.  I think that the main differences in them is the features that they have.  If you
go to newegg.com you can see them, their features, and any reviews that might be written for them by purchasers.  (There should not
be a lot because these have not been on sale for long.)

You can try to keep your old case and see how it works, but you might find that you need a larger one.

Have fun!

Dean Kukral