From:
Robert Prickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 01:18:38 GMT
For what it's worth, when I build a system from 'parts', I always
begin with bare bones minimum to ensure the basics all work.
No hard drive, no modem. no sound, no Cd, no mouse, etc.

Just a floppy drive, video card, keyboard, mobo, [with ram & chipset]
power supply and case.

With this, check the POST beeps, set the CMOS to just the floppy, then
boot with only a bootable command.com disk.  The case power light
should be on, but not the hard drive LED.  If you can boot to the
floppy successfully, then add the 'stuff' one at a time, begininng
with the hard drive.  Take your time, and do it one piece at a time.

Patience pays off.

About the suspected bad PS, in most cases, it's okay, just not
connected right.  PS's are amazingly resiliant.

If in doubt, check the +5 and +12 volts at the connectors.

Small Claims Court Collection
and Windows95 / 98 Help
www.computerhelp.org

                     visit our download web page at: