Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:34:11 +0000
        Hi.
        It surprises me so much interest in a DOS driver. Asuming W95 is
the general case, the CD should be served by W95 in W95 and in its DOS
sessions.
        So you only need DOS access to the CD when shutting down and going
into MS-DOS, or when interrupting normal boot (F8) and going to command
prompt only. Therefore, the default W95 installation places the DOS driver
in CONFIG.SYS. But this is stupid (no wonder, coming from Microsoft) since
mostly it is not needed.
        If you want DOS CD access for above two situations, there is a widely
known trick: use DOSSTART.BAT to link the DOS CD driver into the drivers
chain. There are two utilities, CTLOAD.COM from Creative (www.creaf.com)
and documented DRVLOAD.COM from PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com). Then, you get
20K-30K extra <1 MB in DOS sessions. They use undocumented DOS calls, so
try and see.
        If you interrupt boot (F8) you should run DOSSTART manually.
        Here is a piece of DOSSTART.BAT, which lets you choose the loader:

@C:\WIN95\COMMAND\choice /ccdn /td,5 "CTLOAD o DRVLOAD para CD, o sin CD?"
@if errorlevel==3 goto sincd
@if errorlevel==2 goto siga1
@set LOADER=C:\PROGRA~1\SBCD\DOSDRV\CTLOAD
@goto siga2
:siga1
@set LOADER=E:\util\drvLOAD

:siga2
@echo Uso LOADER=%LOADER% para CD
@%LOADER% C:\PROGRA~1\SBCD\DOSDRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /V /P:1E8,11
@C:\WIN95\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V /M:8 /l:m

:sincd

> Ooooh! Oooooh!  Where would I find such a driver?  I could really use a copy!
>
> -JOWj.
> John Wilson
> "The Pledge of Allegiance says, 'With liberty and justice for ALL.'  What
> part of ALL do you not understand?" - Rep. Pat Schroder.
>
> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Roxanne Pierce wrote:
>
> > Jim --
> >
> > That hasn't been mostly true in the last year or two.  I've been using a
> > "universal" ATAPI CD-ROM driver (D011V200.SYS) for the last year or so that
> > works on most CD-ROM's I've come across, whether ones I buy new or ones already
> > existing in client computers.  It does not need the IRQ and I/O information to
> > find and initialize the CD-ROM.  The statement for it in config.sys is:
> >
> > DEVICE=C:\[folder]\D011V200.SYS /D:MSCD001
> >
> > ...and it finds most CD-ROMs just fine.

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)