From:
"S. Stubbs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:11:51 -0600
From Susan Stubbs:

Hi, I am totally bummed. I have been piecing together my new PC since January.
I got an Asus K7V-RM motherboard, Athlon 900Mhz slot A processor and fan,
Maxtor 30gig  7200rpm Ultra-66 harddrive, 256MB stick of Siemens Infineon CAS2
SDRAM, and ATX case w/300 watt PS.
I work full time so I have little time for much except at night, and even right
now I
am taking night classes, so today I finally put it all together. I put in my
Iomega
Zip650 CDwriter drive, and an old IBM 6X CDRom drive, also a working pull Sony
floppy drive. I bought a brand new Hercules prophet geforce 2MX agp video card.
I spent days making sure all the jumpers were right so that I would not fry
anything.
All the cables are brand new.
OK, so I boot up to go to the BIOS and configure it, I figure I will spend a
few days
on this to make sure the settings are tweaked just right.
Well, here is the bummer, it won't detect my harddrive!
Yes it is set to primary master, on the jumper, yes it is on the end of the
Ultra-66
ribbon cable, I checked the cables a million times and the cables are inserted
right,
and I even got another cable and tried it too. I went and tried another junk
hard drive, I think a 210MB one, it would not detect it either! I went in and
tried to
set the hard drive parameters manually and then I saved and exited, but to no
avail,
the system boot up still did not recognize hard drive! So I tried yet another
hard drive,
a 1.3gig Maxtor, and NO JOY!  It will not detect the hard drive,
either with the auto detect or the manual entry.
It will detect both the Iomega Zip650 CDwriter drive, and even the old IBM 6X
CDrom drive.
Both of those drives are on the secondary IDE controller and are using a
regular IDE ribbon
cable, since the secondary IDE controller is not an Ultra-66 and the manual
recommends putting
the CDroms on the secondary IDE controller.
But nothing on the Primary IDE controller!!!
I AM TOTALLY Bummed!! Whom may I turn to? It has been since December that I
bought
the motherboard. The bios version of the board is Award Medallion Bios Version
6.0,
BIOS revision 1003A, with a date of 3/10/2000. I have been to the website for
Asus and there aren't any BIOS revisisons it seems.
Sincerely,
Susan Stubbs

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml