From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:54:10 -0400
From: Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>

> In <000401beb84c$601ea940$2c46a5ce@orion>, on 06/16/99
>    at 06:59 PM, Ken & Barbie <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
> >Hello, I have recently put together a new system.
> >Consist of the following:
> >Abit 55T31 oem socket 7 mainboard (ebay special)
> >ATI xpert 98 8mg video card
> >64mb pc100 ram
> >WD 8.4gig ide drive
> >Intel 233mmx
> >Win 98
> >
> >My problem is that when the system begins to load windows, the
> >computer hangs, the drive light begins to flicker and the system
> >stops loading. At first I thought it was the CLabs awe sound
> >card,  which I removed. I have checked for conflicts, ran
> >msconfig, loaded the system without config.sys & autoexec.bat,
> >removed video drivers but still have the same problem.
> >>Thanks, Ken Cornell
>
> Handy new system checkout:
>

> 2. Then boot from a DOS floppy. That will at least tell you the
> basic motherboard is operational.  If that fails (especially if
> you get a drive or controller error message), replace the power
> supply.

Ken,

I'm not sure that replacing the power supply will fix a drive or
controller problem.  But before you start fooling with part swapping
and/or replacement try creating a boot log and see if the problem is
software related.

First boot to DOS --  Press F8 *AS* SOON*AS you see the message "Starting
Windows....." (there is only a 3-5 second time frame in which you can do
this so watch the screen and be ready!)
Now select STEP BY STEP from the menu. (sorry, the exact wording escapes
me at the moment <grin>)
Press Y (yes) for each step and look for any problems along the way.
At the last step, "START WINDOWS" push N (no).
This will dump you at the DOS prompt.
Now type WIN /B and enter.
Windows will now create a text file called C:\BOOTLOG.TXT which will
document EVERYthing that happens while windows is booting.   Hopefully --
even though the system "hangs" -- windows will complete the boot file.
Now you can reboot to DOS and examine the bootlog file, looking for any
FAILED statements.