From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:24:56 -0400
I have had this problem, and a new floppy drive
has always corrected it.
The drive is apparently not noticing when the floppy
disk is changed (the change line detection circuit
is damaged) and the old floppy DIRECTORY info
stays in memory...

This "often?" damaged any floppies put in "next"
as the FAT on the floppy was wrong then, and the
file contents on the disk were obviously wrong,
(to us, but not the computer), so it could cause
damage to the floppy by writing where it should
not...

What Gateway wants to do seems fine to me...

            Rick Glazier

From: "rizal sharif" <[log in to unmask]>
> The drive
> will always refers to files from the first diskette I
> used even though there is no diskette inside it. It
> also cannot read from others diskette
> I tried to use the first diskette (problem diskette I
> think)  in another PC (Dell Optilex GX110), and you
> know what, it bring the same problem to the this PC.
> However I managed to resolve it using the repair bad
> sector utility for floppy disk.
>
> I've contacted Gateway, and they promised to came and
> replaced the floppy drive.
>
> I wonder whether the diskette is the source of the
> problem.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com