Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:08:48 -0500
Actually, it has only a little to do with FSB and more to do with the data
transfer rate. Though FSB is many times used in line with what FSB mostly
pertains to the speed of the CPU connection to the northbridge, while bus
more is reference in the case of memory; they are used interchangeably
though. The numbers in question are related to data transfer rates overall
(1600=12800MB/s). The series of numbers are the timings, and they have a
distinct effect on the transfer rates. The higher, the slower. But
typically, if you have a 1600mhz set of DDR3 triple channel memory, having
run at the lower timings can cause delay and burps because of temperature
discrepancies. More importantly, it can cause the CPU to overheat if the
voltage is mismatched where they are higher on the memory side. Unless one
is pressed for time in the nanoseconds, having run on low latency just to
attain them isn't going to offer much. I use 1333mhz set on auto and I get
speeds that can run as well as 1600 set on 8-8-8-24. If you are going to use
1600mhz memory or higher, refer to your CPU specs and the temps that the
memory will run when at their recommended speeds.

Unless one is doing serious graphics and especially gaming, you really don't
need memory that fast.