From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:35:07 -0700
There are a few sites that have good step by step directions on building
a new computer. Try a web search and chose one that you find easy to
follow, then print it out.

I've built and upgraded a number of computers over the years and the one
thing I find questionable each time is installing the case wiring (power
switch, reset switch, speaker wires, etc.) to the motherboard. I have
yet to see a motherboard manual that shows a close up view of the
connections or a description that gives an orientation of the printing
on the connectors to the edge of the motherboard (or other MB
component). It ends up being a 50/50 guess. And if wrong, it is easily
correctable.

As to the hard drive, you will need to run "fdisk" on it to create a
partition and to make it "active". You may need to format it, but I
think Windows XP will do that as part of the XP installation. I assume
you are going to install XP. You do not need to install a driver.

Other than that  you will not have any problems. Just be careful of
static electricity and how you handle the components.

Have fun!

Tom Mayer

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hello to all.
> Today I received most of the parts for my first time computer build. I still have a few questions.
> I bought an OEM  Seagate SETA hard dirve that came with no documentation. Do I need drivers for this hard drive? If so, where do I get them?
> I also bought an AMD AM2 retail processor. It comes with a heat sink and fan. I noticed that on the heat sink there is a plastic sheet where it sits on the CPU. Must this plastic be removed? I am quite nervous, hoping I wont wind up with an expensive pile of junk.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Daniel
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>