From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:33:47 -0700
Posted to PCBUILD for
Jim Meagher<[log in to unmask]> by the listowner
======================================

Greetings.

Well I've finally dug a hole deep enough that I can't
get out of.....

My PC has been on a steady decline over the last few
weeks so this weekend I decided to strip it down and
start fresh.......BAD decision.

Prior to taking it down, I ran Touchstone's WinCheckIt
to test my hardware. All the basics checked out fine.
Good CPU, good MoBo, good RAM, and good C drive.

I booted from my floppy and ran FDISK.
I deleted both partitions from my primary drive.
I then rebooted.
I created two new partitions.
I set the primary partition active.
I rebooted to DOS and then ran an older DOS version of
WinCheckIt.  IT TOO gave my hardware a clean bill of
health.  But it IS old software -- it thinks I have a
486 running at 13,487Mhz and it only tested the first
16Meg of RAM.

Anyway, I rebooted using the Win 98 (original) boot
disk and that's when I ran into trouble.

The windows setup gets to the point of creating the
windows directory and dies.  I get an error message
stating:
SUWIN CAUSED SEGMENT LOAD FAILURE IN MODULE SUWIN.EXE
AT 0004:6BEB.

I ran FDISK again.  Delected and recreated the
partitions and THIS TIME I formatted C: first.
Windows setup stopped at the exact same spot with the
exact same error.

Ok..... Fdisk a third time. New partitions again.
Formatted C and THIS TIME I copied the Windows CD to
C:\WIN.CD and ran the setup from there.

Same problem....    HELP!!!!

Naturally  I can't access my normal Email so please
write to me at:
[log in to unmask] (note the underscore)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Jim Meagher

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org