From:
"1336don ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:29:20 +1000
Go into W10 Settings/Network and Internet and see if wifi is set to "on" or
if it shows up at all.

To state the obvious (though you don't mention it)----- is the wifi key
switched on on the laptop itself?  Most laptops have a wifi key and light,
usually on the keyboard but on some models it's hard to find, may be hidden
down on the front below the keyboard. Check the handbook for its location.

Have you tried calling or emailing HP support?---presumably the machine
will still be under warranty.

Not sure why you can't access BIOS, try Delete or Esc keys. Hold down
rather than tapping.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:32 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   I'm away from home at the moment, and having some problems with a
> laptop.  It's an HP Pavilion "Model 818", purchased from Best Buy in
> December.
>   At the end of February, HP's "Support Assistant" program notified me
> to download and install half a dozen updates.  I did -- and wireless
> hasn't worked since.  The desktop shortcut I set up to allow easy
> enabling/disabling of Wifi now just tells me "Wi-Fi could not be found."
>  I had a chance to hook it to a wired network and do a fresh download
> and install of the drivers for the Wifi adapter, but that hasn't made
> any difference.
>   The machine has a 1 TB hard drive, which I've partitioned intending to
> dual-boot to Ubuntu Linux.  All that's stopping me is that I can't get
> it to boot from the install CD.  I believe I set all the BIOS options to
> enable booting from the CD drive, but it doesn't, and now pressing F2
> while booting takes me to a set of hardware diagnostics (I believe one o
> those HP updates installed them), all of which pass, but that means I
> don't even get to the BIOS settings to check that I enabled them.
>   In theory, Best Buy's Geek Squad should help me, but I'm in Canada for
> a bit and I don't know if they even have stores anywhere near me...
>   Anyone got a constructive suggestion on either issue?  T laptop came
> with 64-bit Windows 10 home, so fr now that's the OS I've got access
> to...
>
>   David Gillett  CISSP CCNP
>
>                           PCSOFT's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>