From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:58:03 -0800
On 16 Mar 98 at 9:21, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> > ECC stands for Error Checking and Correcting.

  Apparently this is the official answer expected on one of the
Microsoft Ceritification exams.  However, ECC has stood for
"Error-Correcting Code" (describing the underlying technique now
being delivered as a feature) for 20 years or more, and continues to
do so on the literature of most memory and chipset producers.

> > Depending on the chipset
> > and circuitry used on the motherboard, for ECC to be utilized, your
> > memory must be either Parity RAM or ECC RAM. (Both of these types of
> > RAM use 9 bits instead of 8 bits per byte. See below.)
>
>         Excuse me if my suppositions are wrong, since I yet have to see
> an ECC memory.
>         ECC should use more that one aditional bit every eight. For ECC
> to occur, on a 32 bit wide path, six aditional bits would be needed,
> since 2^6=64, it can point to the bit in error within the 38 bits,
> and include the no error case.
>         See that reducing to five, 2^5=32 can't cover all cases.
>         (2^p must be greater than n+p+1).
>         32 bits -> 6 parity bits.
>         64 bits -> 7 parity bits. It seems that here ECC is more efficient
> than a parity bit per byte.

  This would be why we never saw an ECC feature until after we got to
CPUs with a 64-bit data path to memory, where suddenly the 8
available parity bits are sufficient to implement ECC across either a
DIMM or a matched pair of SIMMs.  [Thanks, Javier, for doing the
math!]

David G