From:
Dan Dexter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:57:04 -0400
Yes, that is a good combination.  Although if you're going that high
performance you should think about a Seagate Cheetah 10000rpm 9gig drive
(ST39102LW, ST39102LC, ST39102FC, Cheetah9LP) with either a Ultra2 SCSI or
Fibre Channel interface with either the AHA-2940U2W Ultra2 Wide SCSI adapter
or the AHA-F940 Fibre Channel adapter from Adaptec.  The speed is 80MB/s and
100-120MB/s respectively depending on interface versus 40MB/s for the
AHA-2940UW recommended by your supplier.

While it is good you are thinking about upgrading to such a high performance
disk drive system, have you tried defragmenting your NT drives?  They can
become badly fragmented in a short period of time which can significantly
reduce performance.  You can obtain a free defragmenter (manual start)
called Disk Keeper Lite from http://www.diskeeper.com/ .  Depending on your
server, you might be able to increase your bus speed to 66MHz increasing
peripheral communication (including disk drives) and processor speed.  You
can also try installing the Bus Master drivers for your motherboard (if
available) which will help take some of the I/O load off the processor.

Dan Dexter
mailto:[log in to unmask]
mailto:[log in to unmask]