From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:23:56 -0800
On Thursday, January 13, 2000 10:17 AM,  "Walter R. Worth"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip>Second, do you have a "backup" copy of the registry on another source
of
> storage media? If so, try importing/exporting it to your hard drive and
> reboot the machine to see if it works. The problem you are describing is
> IMHO, a corrupt registry. Third, if your computer is "functional", (tell
us
> exactly what do you mean by you can't "run" any programs in Windows?) try
> d/l the latest version of RegClean 4.1 and install it to see if it will
fix
> the problem for you without resorting to other third-party apps to fix the
> problem.  Failing any of the above recommendations, you "may" be better
> served by reinstalling (if you can), just the OS. Please post your answers
> to the list so others can offer their suggestions as well.  HTH. :-)

Mary -- since I am probably confusing you and I didn't do it intentionally
<g>, the reason I asked the questions I did are:

(1) if you have the original version of Windows 95, some of the files are
different in OSR2.x.

(2) if you do have OSR2.x and are able to boot to MS-DOS mode (you did say
you could get to DOS), the following commands will rebuild your registry.
One caveat, you must type everything perfectly.

From the Windows directory, type the following DOS commands one after the
other, pressing enter after each one.  When you have finished, restart your
computer.

attrib -h-r-s system.* (Enter)
copy system.dat system.bak
copy system.da0 system.dat
attrib -h -r -s user.*
copy user.dat user.bak
copy user.da0 user.bak
attrib +h +r +s system.*
attrib +h +r +s user.*

This is the easiest way of rebuilding a corrupt registry.  For the other
list members...... I am trying to "help" her step-by-step as necessary and
although there are "numerous" ways of doing things in Windows, too much info
at the incorrect time will make the problem worst. This list, has users of
all abilities and I am uncertain from her post, other than the registry
issue, what her experience level is. If she is able to restore the normal
Windows functions, she can follow the other steps I initially posted. She
will have to d/l Winzip or a similar unarchiving utility to extract the
RegClean program files :-)

Walter R. Worth