From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:51:10 -0400
On 8/18/1998 Bobby Herring  wrote:

>I have an old 486/66 I would like to upgrade without spending
>a lot of money. From various vendors, I have found the following:
>Atrend ATC-5030 mobo using the 430TX chipset . . .
>
>I will use my existing hard drive, floppy, sound card,
>cd, monitor and case. . . .
>
>Does this sound like a workable combination?

Bob:

This sounds like fine bang-for-the-buck solution. The
choice of the motherboard is the most important decision.
If you have researched the Atrend and it is a quality board
that fits your needs, then you have chosen well.

One thing you might consider is buying a new case
and floppy and putting all the new parts into the new
case (along with your existing hard drive, sound card,
and CDROM). This way, you'd have a 486 system unit
you could possibly sell or use.

Also, if you get all the parts from the same vendor, then
you have a barebones system and you can ask for a
warranty on the entire package. Moreover, if the parts are
not compatible with each other, you won't get the old
run-around of: "The board I sold you is fine; this other
part you bought elsewhere is the problem..."

It may cost a little more but the savings in time and effort
will be worth the price difference.

Regards,

John Chin