From:
Jeff Sederstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:37:51 -0500
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:39:20 +0200, Paul <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi there on the list,
>Latly there has been a lot of discussion on the list about reinstalling
>windows without losing installed programs and that got me wondering how one
>could make a rescue or two cd's like the ones that came with my sons
>e-machines PC.  It has two CDs with Win XP and all of the installed
>programs. From what I understand it will even rewrite the boot sector if
>that has been fooled with (probaly not so good if you change hard drives).
>But you have to keep the originals anyway!  Ian Porter said that Windows was
>shutting down its support in July could already be two late I reinstalled
>this weekend and MS Update said no updates curently availible.  Anyway how
>could one make a bootible CD with Win and all of your installed programs ,
>is it possible with board programs or free ware? If not what programs would
>be needed. If this is complicated it could be a good how to  for the web
>page.
>Thank You
>Paul Ryan
>Germany
>
>        The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>       tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>           Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

after i install/reinstall an operating system, i like to install a few of my most important programs, and get all of the windows updates, then burn an image of my drive to cd's or another partition.  it's easy to resore this image when you run into problems.  two good programs for this are Powerquest's Drive Image, and Norton Ghost.  i don't know if there are free programs that can do a good job of this.  do a search on drive image utilities.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml