From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:54:20 -0700
The (40) post error message simply means that your motherboard can't see
your floppy. You most likely have a bent pin or you do not have the cable
plugged in correctly.The cable is usually the culprit with this problem and
it is easy to make a mistake and miss or bend a pin.  First make sure it is
plugged in to the floppy and the board correctly....all the pins are in the
right holes and the red stripe ...the number one pin on the cable is
correctly aligned...this is normally on the power lead side of the Floppy.
FIC boards will have number 1 printed on them.... most motherboards put
this on the side of the power connection. If you are positive you have it
plugged in correctly then swap it out with a new one. Bad cables and cables
going bad are very common. If that doesn't work try snapping it out with
another floppy drive. While you may be positive the cable and the floppy is
good sometimes just the process of swapping them out will solve the problem.

                                  -----