From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 09:42:38 -0400
I recommended that Hugh rename or relocate these files just to be safe.  In my case, when I had Win 98 First Ed. I started by getting an occasional DNS, but over a few months I could not have an Internet session that was not 80% DNS's.  The techie at my ISP, Earthlink, suggested that I rename the Host files.  Immediately after doing that I was able to eliminate 100% of the DNS's.  He indicated that I could safely delete them, which I did after saving copies to a Zip disk.  Worked like a charm.  Never had that problem again.