From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:00:00 -0400
The hard disk may be in trouble, that is certainly a
possibility.  However, I have seen this same scenario
several times on systems where the memory was bad.  Last
time it was the external cache.  Anyway, the frequent
crashing and rebooting causes a lot of scandisk, and with
the bad memory, scandisk keeps reporting bad disk sectors
when the memory is effecting its ability to test the drive.
Later formatting causes all these "reclaiming" messages
because there may not be anything wrong with the drive.
The definitive way to troubleshoot this is to remove and replace
parts until you find the one that is bad.  I usually start
by trying the hard disk in another system. There are of course
several other suspect parts besides RAM or the disk, however
small the chance, so be systematic.

If it turns out not to be the hard disk, as in my experience,
you can do like I did and delete the partitions, make new
partitions and reformat.  It takes a while to format, but it
should finish eventually.  I have to admit I would be
concerned about format running for more than a couple hours
(assuming the drive is not enormous) if you were using a
known healthy computer to perform the formatting.
Tom Turak