From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 03:20:13 -0800
On 3 Jan 01, at 16:12, R.Torres wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have put a small home server/client network together. W2K server
> on 1 box. W2k professional on the other 2 boxes. All connected
> thru a 4 port dsl router that supports NAT. DHCP is enabled and
> all computers get an IP. I made the server a PDC and made accounts
> for the other boxes,  however  i'm unable to logon to the domain.
> I keep getting the same error message " The system cannot log you
> on now because the Domain "HOME1" is not available."   I can see
> the server from the other boxes and share files only if netbeui is
> installed.
> The IP that are assigned are:
> IP 192.168.1.1, SUB 255.255.0.0, Gate 192.168.1.254----for Server
> IP 192.168.1.2    same sub and gateway for box 1
> IP 192.168.1.3    same sub and gateway for box 2
>
> What am I doing wrong

  With NetBEUI, everything is sent as broadcasts, and servers respond
by recognizing the destination name as one for which they are the
host.  In this case, your PDC picks up any traffic addressed to
"HOME1".

  When relying on TCP/IP, the client machines need some way of
resolving the domain name to an IP address.  There are three basic
methods:

  1.  broadcast
    DHCP is apparently not specifying that clients be configured for
a broadcast-capable NetBIOS node type ("B-node" rather than "P-node";
"M-node" and "H-node" should also work, if available).  There may be
a DHCP option you're not setting, or your router may not provide this.

  2.  WINS server
    Your PDC could be configured to run WINS, and DHCP could tell
clients to use that address to resolve names.  Oops -- the WINS
server must have a static address, it can't itself be a DHCP
client....

  3.  LMHOSTS file
    In the system32\drivers\etc folder, you'll find a file called
LMHOSTS.SAM (for SAMple).  Make a copy of it and edit it to list your
machines, and to specify that the PDC hosts the domain.  Big oops --
this option requires that all of your addresses be static, or that
you edit these files every time DHCP reallocates addresses....

  Option 1 is probably the most practical for your case; it's
normally the default.  Option 2, by the way, is the better option if
you have multiple subnets, since broadcasts don't cross subnet
boundaries.

David G

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com